With an online checking account – no ChexSystems, unbanked consumers looking to conduct financial transactions through a bank can open a new account.
There's no reason for U.S. consumers to be unbanked with access to online and digital banking options. If a negative banking history is prohibiting the unbanked from opening a new bank account, there are many online banks that don't use ChexSystems as well as second chance banking options.
Wasting money on fees for checking cashing or prepaid debit cards is no longer necessary.
An online checking account – no ChexSystems may actually help unbanked consumers manage finances better. With instant alerts and updates, it's easier to keep up with transactions and avoid mishaps that may land consumers in ChexSystems.
Online Checking Account No ChexSystems
1. Upgrade Rewards Checking
Upgrade's Rewards Checking account is available to consumers in ALL States. The rewards checking account earns 2% cashback on everyday purchases made with your debit card and no monthly fees.
With Cross River Bank as its partner, Upgrade offers the Rewards Checking that is FDIC insured up to $250,000.
Plus, Rewards Checking has no account fees — no annual fees, ATM fees, overdraft fees, or transfer fees, period. And there’s no minimum deposit to open the account.
Upgrade Rewards Checking Account details
- Opening deposit. No opening deposit required.
- Cashback rewards. Earn 2% cash back at bars, restaurants, gas stations, drugstores and convenience stores and for food deliveries, utilities and monthly subscriptions, but there’s a limit of up to $500 a year you can receive. You’ll also earn 1% cashback on all other debit card charges with no limit.
- No fees. The Upgrade Rewards Checking account doesn’t charge ATM, overdraft or monthly maintenance fees.
- ATM reimbursements. Upgrade will reimburse any ATM fees you pay up to five times a month. But only if you maintain a minimum daily balance of $2,500 or have at least $1,000 automatically deposited into your account during the same billing cycle as the ATM withdrawals.
- Free domestic wire transfers. There’s no fee for incoming or outgoing domestic wire transfers, though you may pay fees for international transfers.
Upgrade is a financial technology company, not a bank. Rewards Checking services provided by Cross River Bank, Member FDIC.
2. Current Banking
The Current Bank Account and Debit Card works like a checking account and can be a good option for people that need a no Chexsystems account to open instantly.
With the Current Bank Account customers enjoy no monthly or overdraft fees, a debit card, and free ATM access nationwide along with cashback rewards.
Customers can seamlessly set up direct deposit & pay bills and connect to your favorite apps like Venmo, Zelle, PayPal, & CashApp. The Current bank account is FDIC-insured up to $250,000 per depositor through Choice Financial Group, Member FDIC.
Current Bank Account and Debit Card Features
- No opening deposit. $0 minimum opening deposit
- Get paid early. Sign up for direct deposit with your Current Account to get paychecks up to two days faster than traditional banks..
- Cashback rewards. Earn points towards cash back at participating merchants. (15x points when you swipe your card at participating merchants, which can be redeemed for cash in your Current Account.)
- No ChexSystems. No credit check or US credit history required and no SSN required for non US citizens plus no ChexSystems.
- No hidden fees. Zero hidden fees—no annual fees, no additional ATM fees, no overdraft fees, no card replacement fees, and no minimum deposit.
- Overdraft Protection. Overdrive™ gives qualified members up to $200 in overdraft without any overdraft fees.
Current is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group, Member FDIC. The Current Visa Debit Card is issued by Choice Financial Group pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. and may be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
3. Chime Checking Account
Just about any U.S. resident 18 years or older can open a Chime Checking Account. Chime customers get a Chime Visa Debit Card, a spending account, and an optional savings account.
Chime’s most popular feature is early direct deposit. Customers with direct deposit can get paid up to 2 days early. Customers enjoy free online checking account – no opening deposit and no overdraft fees.
Enroll in Chime’s automatic savings program so that every time you make a purchase or pay a bill with your Chime Visa debit card, you’ll be adding to your savings account. Chime automatically rounds up transactions to the nearest dollar and transfers the difference into your savings account.
Chime spending account details
- No service fees. You won’t pay a monthly fee.
- No overdraft fees. Any purchases that would bring your balance below zero would just be denied.
- Get paid early. Set up Direct Deposit and receive your paycheck up to 2 days earlier than your co-workers.
- Deposit checks online. Mobile Check Deposit for any members who are enrolled in direct deposit with their Chime Checking Accounts.
- No deposit required. Open a Chime spending account with $0 dollars.
- Optional savings account. Save money automatically every time you make a purchase or pay a bill with your Chime Visa Debit Card. Chime rounds up transactions to the nearest dollar and transfers the round-up from your spending account into your savings account but don't expect to earn a high-interest rate. Chime's savings rate is currently 1.50%.
- FDIC-Insured. All deposits into your Chime Account are FDIC insured up to $250,000 through our partner, The Bancorp Bank, Member FDIC.
Chime is a financial company, not a bank. Banking services and checking account provided by The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank N.A.; Members FDIC. Credit Builder card issued by Stride Bank N.A.
A few things to consider
Overall Chime Checking Account offers anyone unable to open a bank account due to ChexSystems, EWS, or bad credit a second chance at banking. However, there are a few things to consider with an online checking account – no ChexSystems:
- Wire transfers. Chime does not currently allow wire transfers.
- Paper statement fee. You’ll be charged $3 per paper statement if you decide not to get your statements online.
- Bank transfers to Chime accounts. You can link an external bank account you own to your Chime spending account. But Chime only supports a handful of major banks for this transfer service, i.e. Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi, US Bank, USAA.
- No check writing. Chime members do not get a checkbook. However, Chime will draft a check on your behalf and send it anywhere in the United States. Checks typically take 3-9 business days to arrive.
- Low-interest rate. When you’re looking for a savings account, you generally want the highest interest rate possible. Unfortunately, Chime is at the bottom end of the spectrum for online savings, earning only 1.50% APY.
It’s become clear that consumers enjoy smart, safe, and convenient ways to bank. Digital banking can be a means by which consumers without a bank association can begin to bank again. Digital banking is not just apps and sites, it's full-service banking that offers customers the best of both worlds.
Benefit from new technology to open an online checking account – no ChexSystems. A ChexSystems record, paid or unpaid, can remain up to 5 years and millions of people are unbanked because they have been flagged as high risk.