If you like the look and feel of metal credit cards but not the annual fees associated with getting one, metal debit cards make a great alternative.
To get a metal debit card, you'll have to open a checking account. As with most checking accounts, you'll be limited to the available account balance when using a metal debit card plus a small monthly maintenance fee.
Metal debit cards carry weight and you'll get a kick out of people's reaction when using one. But only a handful of banks offer metal debit cards.
Here’s a list of our top choices for stunning metal debit cards that you can apply directly online.
Top Metal debit cards
1. Acorns Spend Account
Acorns is an investing app that automatically invests your spare change. Investors that like to take a hands-off approach, as well as beginning investors, will like the Acorns app.
The Acorns app rounds up all of your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and then invests that change into a portfolio of exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
You can even link a credit card to have that spare change added to your investment portfolio. Everything is done online and automated.
The Acorns Spend Account is a checking account and metal debit card that saves and invests for you. The Acorns Spend account saves and invests for you.
The Acorns app allows investors to buy and sell fractional shares. These “fractional shares” allow you to invest with as little as $1. That means you can own a piece of top stocks like Tesla.
Acorns Metal Debit Card
Customers will enjoy the reaction the exquisite tungsten metal debit card gets. It's a matte green card with your name engraved.
Acorns calls its cash management account a Spend Account. The Acorns Spend Account offers direct deposit, bill payment, 1% APY interest on account balances, 1% cashback on qualifying purchases plus a metal debit card. You can use your Acorns debit card anywhere Visa® is accepted.
Features of the Acorns Spend Account
- A tungsten metal, matte green card with your name engraved.
- Instantly invest your spare change and easily save for retirement.
- No minimum balance fees or overdraft fees.
- ATM fee reimbursement.
- Bonus investments when you shop and money tips on the go.
- Digital banking with mobile check deposit, check sending, and more.
- There are no transaction or withdrawal fees for Acorns.
- Instantly invest spare change and save from no hidden fees with over 55,000 fee-free ATMs nationwide and around the world
- Smart Deposit built-in — automatically set aside money before you spend it
- Acorns Spend accounts are FDIC insured up to $250,000.
The Acorns Spend Account offers three types of checking accounts:
- Acorns Lite: $1/mo. This includes Acorns Invest, the automated investing account.
- Acorns Personal: $3/mo. Includes Acorns Invest + Acorns Later IRA + Acorns Spend checking account and debit card.
- Acorns Family: $5/mo. Everything above plus Acorns Early. You can add investment accounts for all your kids.
Acorns combine checking and savings plus investment and retirement accounts all-in-one. You can start saving for your retirement with as little as $5 per month. Set up automated investing with your spare change. Set recurring investments and grow your money faster from reinvested dividends.
Manage your money as you see fit and get the exquisite tungsten metal debit card.
2. M1 Finance Spend Account
M1 Finance is a popular online stock brokerage that has increased accessibility to investing, especially among a younger crowd.
Investing apps allow investors to buy and sell fractional shares. That means instead of paying for a stock that may be out of your budget's reach, investors can purchase small slices of a stock.
If you can afford a cup of coffee, you can invest – and all from the comfort of your mobile phone.
Like most traditional brokerage firms, M1 Finance offers a cash management account that acts as similar to a checking and savings account.
M1 Finance Metal Debit Card
M1 Finance calls its cash management account a Spend Account. The M1 Spend Checking Account offers direct deposit, bill payment, 1% APY interest on account balances, 1% cashback on qualifying purchases plus a metal debit card. You can use your M1 Spend debit card anywhere Visa® is accepted.
Features of the M1 Spend Account
- Visa metal debit card.
- Direct deposit.
- Bill payment.
- Earn 1% APY interest on account balances when you sign up for the M1 Plus membership.
- Earn 1% cashback on qualifying purchases.
- Consolidate your accounts and use M1 for all your money needs: move money between Invest, Borrow and Spend easily.
- Use your M1 Spend debit card anywhere Visa® is accepted. Plus, choose from five sleek designs with M1 Plus.
- Get one ATM fee reimbursement per calendar month.
- The M1 Spend checking account is integrated with the investment account
- The cash management account is FDIC-insured.
The M1 Finance Spend Account offers two types of checking accounts:
- Basic Checking Account – $0 service charge
- M1 Plus Membership Checking Account – $125 yearly service charge
M1 Finance combines investing, borrowing, and cash management into one easy-to-use automated platform, so you can manage your money as you see fit. In addition to a stunning metal debit card, M1 Finance has a stunning app with lots of features.
3. Chime Metal Visa Card
For Chime customers that missed out on the Chime metal debit card, Chime has a stunning metal credit card offer. It's really easy to sign-up, there's no credit check.
Simply open the Chime Spending Account, move money to the Chime Builder Secured account and use it for 40 purchases in 60 days.
The purchase amounts do not matter, that means they can be as little as 1 cent. There are no fees associated with the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card. You can use the Credit Builder card anywhere Visa® credit cards are accepted.
Features of the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card
- Credit Builder is a secured credit card. The money you move to the Credit Builder secured account is how much you can spend with the card.
- No annual fees, maintenance fees, international fees, and no interest.
- No credit check to apply.
- No minimum security deposit required.
- There’s no credit check to apply!
- The spending account is FDIC-insured.
Final thoughts on metal debit cards
Unlike metal credit cards, anyone can enjoy the luxury of a metal card but without the annual fees. Metal credit cards require high incomes and excellent credit but metal debit cards simply require you to open a checking account.
Regular plastic debit cards just don't compare once you get accustomed to the heft and feel of a metal debit card.
A metal debit card will hold up better for daily use but they may set off metal detectors. No big deal though. If they set off metal detectors, it's just another opportunity to show off your awesome metal debit card.