If you like the look and feel of metal credit cards but not the annual fees associated with getting one, a metal debit card makes for a great alternative.
To get a metal debit card, you'll have to open a checking account. As with most checking accounts, you'll be limited to the available account balance when using a metal debit card plus a small monthly maintenance fee.
Metal debit cards carry weight and you'll get a kick out of people's reaction when using one. You don't have to pay for a custom metal debit card, there's a handful of banks that offer metal debit cards when opening a checking account.
Metal debit card options
1. Acorns metal debit card
Acorns' checking account customers get a heavy metal debit card with a matte green finish and a custom-engraved signature. All-digital banking features early direct deposit, mobile check deposit, and no hidden fees with over 55,000 fee-free ATMs nationwide and around the world.
The Acorns Reddit forum speaks about “how heavy and nice…” the Acorn metal debit card is and how it sparks conversation when used.
This month earn a $75 Welcome Bonus if you set up a direct deposit method with your employer of at least $250 and spend at least $500 from your Checking account within 3 months of your 1st qualifying deposit.
Acorns Checking Account Features
Manage your money as you see fit and get the exquisite tungsten metal debit card.
- A tungsten metal, matte green card with your name engraved.
- Instantly invest your spare change and easily save for retirement.
- No minimum balance fees or overdraft fees.
- Unlimited free or fee-reimbursed ATM withdrawals nationwide.
- Bonus investments when you shop and money tips on the go.
- Digital banking with mobile check deposit, check sending, and the Acorns debit card supports Apple Pay.
- Smart Deposit built-in — automatically set aside money before you spend it.
- FDIC-protected checking account up to $250,000 plus fraud protection.
Acorns Investing Features
Investors that like to take a hands-off approach, as well as beginning investors, will like the Acorns app.
- Invest at your own pace with no minimums.
- Setup daily, weekly or monthly contributions, or one-time deposits whenever you have extra money.
- Invest spare change in a diversified portfolio.
- Diversify through ETFs with exposure to over 7,000 stocks and bonds.
- Buy and sell fractional shares that allow you to invest with as little as $1. That means you can own a piece of top stocks like Tesla or Amazon.
- Easy, automated way to invest for retirement.
- Smart money tips and tricks.
- Earn money feature adds money to your Acorns account when you shop with one or more of 350+ top brands like Walmart, Chevron, Apply, Sam’s Club, Sephora, Kohl’s, Old Navy, Macy’s.
2. Chime Metal Credit Card
For Chime customers that missed out on the Chime metal debit card, Chime has a stunning metal credit card offer. It's really easy to sign-up, there's no credit check.
Simply open the Chime Spending Account, move money to the Chime Builder Secured account, and use it for 40 purchases in 60 days.
The purchase amounts do not matter, that means they can be as little as 1 cent. There are no fees associated with the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card. You can use the Credit Builder card anywhere Visa® credit cards are accepted.
Features of the Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card
- Credit Builder is a secured credit card. The money you move to the Credit Builder secured account is how much you can spend with the card.
- No annual fees, maintenance fees, international fees, and no interest.
- No credit check to apply.
- No minimum security deposit is required.
- There’s no credit check to apply!
- The spending account is FDIC-insured.
3. OnJuno Metal Debit Card
For customers that don't mind paying extra for a metal debit card, Onjuno has a stunning metal debit card with a 5% cashback on 5 brands of your choice offer at retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and Netflix.
OnJuno is a digital banking platform offers a checking account with interest rates that exceed the average for other checking accounts. Banking services are provided by Evolve Bank & Trust; Member FDIC. OnJuno is a financial technology company, not a bank.
Metal Membership requires that you have at least $500 a month in direct deposits. With OnJuno, you can receive part of your paycheck in crypto. You can choose BTC, ETH, USDC, or a basket of currencies.
Features of the OnJuno Metal Debit Card
- Minimum $500 monthly direct deposit.
- Black Metal card design.
- Get 5% Cashback on brands of your choice.
- Unlimited free in-network ATM withdrawals (at over 85,000 ATMs).
- 3 free ATM out-of-network withdrawals.
- 0% foreign transaction fee.
- Earn 1.20% with OnJuno Metal.
- FDIC insured up to $250,000.
Final thoughts on getting a metal debit card
Unlike metal credit cards, anyone can enjoy the luxury of a metal debit card but without the annual fees. Metal credit cards require high incomes and excellent credit but metal debit cards simply require you to open a checking account.
Regular plastic debit cards just don't compare once you get accustomed to the heft and feel of a metal debit card.
A metal debit card will hold up better for daily use but they may set off metal detectors. No big deal though. If they set off metal detectors, it's just another opportunity to show off your awesome metal debit card.