BBVA Online Banking was recognized by Javelin Strategy & Research as a Leader in its Mobile and Online Banking awards in the key categories of Customer Service & Ease of Use for Mobile Banking for online banking in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
BBVA Bank opened its doors in the United States on March 2, 1964, with a branch in Birmingham, Alabama as Central Bank & Trust Company.
Today, BBVA Bank headquarters remains in Alabama but deposit accounts and other financial products are available nationwide. BBVA Bank has grown to one of the nation's top largest banks, with branch locations throughout Alabama, Arizona, California, Denver, Florida, New Mexico, and Texas.
But don't worry, BBVA Online Banking makes it easy for customers nationwide to access a variety of full-service financial products. With more than 50 years of service under its belt, BBVA Bank has maintained excellent customer service efforts along with its lending commitment to small business owners.
BBVA Bank is one of the few banks that don't use ChexSystems to screen new customers. This can help people that have been locked out of traditional banking due to past mistakes. Early Warning Services is used to screen applicants for things like check fraud, forgery, and check kitting.
BBVA Online Banking – Types of Accounts
You can become a bank customer without ever having to step foot in a branch. BBVA Bank (formerly known as BBVA Compass) offers a variety of financial products that include Checking, Savings, Credit Cards, Personal and Business Loans, IRAs, Mortgages and a variety of investment products.
We're only going to look at BBVA's Checking Account Features in this overview.
BBVA Bank Free Checking Account
Save up to $144 a year. BBVA Bank began offering a completely free checking account in 2015. Online banking customers, as well as in-branch customers, can open BBVA Bank's Free Checking Account.
No Monthly Service Charge. Keep more money in your pockets. Paying monthly fees for a checking account will slowly drain your account. At BBVA Bank monthly fees can be avoided.
BBVA Free Checking Account has all the features that make a good checking account. Monthly fees can be avoided and a checking account should be free to operate. Several features you might find valuable include:
- No monthly Service Charge
- No ATM fees at BBVA USA ATMs
- Free Online Banking and Mobile Banking, plus Mobile Deposit® and Bill Pay
- Earn cash back rewards for everyday debit card purchases with Simple Cash BackSM
- Personalize with your favorite photo for $10 per card
- Free customizable account alerts
- Free unlimited check writing
- Member FDIC
What we like most about BBVA Free Checking
- Worldwide ATM access. There are no ATM fees at more than 64,000 AllPoint, participating 7-Eleven and BBVA ATMs. You can even deposit cash at the participating 7-Eleven ATMs.
- Free checking. There's no monthly service charge for free checking or online checking.
- Open with credit or debit card. BBVA only requires $25 to open a checking account.
- BBVA ClearBenefits Program. Enrollment gets you benefits like cell phone protection and identity theft restoration and insurance for $4.00 a month.
What we like least about BBVA Free Checking
There are three Overdraft Protection options at BBVA and we're not fond of any of them.
- Linked account service. You can link another BBVA account or a secondary checking account from a different bank to cover overdrafts. With both options, you will be charged a once-daily Inter-Account Transfer Fee of $12 ($7 in CA) for each day the bank makes one or more transfers.
- Overdraft Protection Line of Credit. You can link an existing checking account to a line of credit to cover overdrafts but you will be charged a once-daily Overdraft Protection Fee of $12 ($7 in CA) for each day the bank makes one or more advances from your ODP Line of Credit and may be subject to a 21% APR.
Overall thoughts on BBVA Bank
BBVA Bank brings full-service banking online. While there are a growing number of Fintechs like SoFi Money and Chime, challenging traditional banks – they are typically limited to checking and savings accounts. BBVA understands that every individual customer has unique needs and wants. BBVA has the financial products most customers will need at some point in time.
More Banks with Free Checking
Aspiration Spend & Save Account – Best for Budgeting
Aspiration Bank is an online-only bank offering a generous interest-earning, free checking, and savings account. The account is a combination of a checking and savings account. The headline here is the Cashback rewards increases for spending at socially-conscious companies.
Plus, Aspiration is committed to equal financial opportunity and giving back to the community by donating 10% of their earnings. Unlimited 0.5% to 1.00% Cashback rewards on every purchase.
Checking Account Details:
- Opening deposit: Minimum opening deposit of $0.
- Cashback: Offers a hybrid cash account with a rare up-to-5% cash back on purchases and a 0.50% APY.
- Mobile Banking: Spending tracker for social impact and 10% of Aspiration’s earnings go to charity.
- Free ATMs: Reimburses fees for up to five ATM withdrawals per month.
- Service Fees: No monthly fee and no overdraft fees.
Axos Bank – Best old school online bank
Axos Bank dates back to the year 2000. Axos Bank is based in San Diego, CA with a few branch locations in that state. However, Axos Bank offers several checking accounts online along with full-service financial products for individuals and businesses that span deposit accounts and loans.
The Axos Rewards Checking Account has no monthly service charge and account holders with direct deposit get paid up to 2 days early. The account requires a $50 opening deposit.
Rewards Checking Account Features
- Get paid up to 2days early.
- No maintenance fees, non-sufficient fund fees or overdraft fees.
- Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements.
- Up to 1.25% APY.
- $50 minimum opening balance.
- No minimum monthly balance.
- FDIC insured.
CIT Bank – eChecking Account
The CIT e-Checking Account lets you earn interest with no monthly fees. Earn 0.25% APY with $25,000 minimum balance or 0.10% APY on balances under $25,000. Minimum of $100 to open your account. You can transfer funds with electronic transfer, mail in check, or wire.
e-Checking Account Features
- CIT Bank does not charge ATM fees.
- Get up to $30 in other bank’s ATM fees reimbursed per month.
- Transfer, pay and purchase via mobile with Zelle®, Bill Pay, Samsung Pay and Apple Pay.
- Deposit checks and make unlimited withdrawal and disbursements with the CIT Bank mobile app.
- 24/7 account access online and mobile, plus an automated telephone system.
Radius Bank – Rewards Checking
The Rewards Checking Account is designed for customers that like to earn cash back rewards and interest on deposits. Additional features include unlimited ATM fee reimbursements and monthly free checking. Radius Bank will rebate non-Radius ATM fees each month for withdrawals.
Accounts can be managed totally online with digital and banking technology. Radius Bank is a full-service bank with various financial products that include savings accounts, credit cards, personal and mortgage loans plus insurance products.
Radius Rewards Checking Features:
- $100 minimum opening deposit.
- No Monthly or Hidden Fees.
- Up to 1.5% Cash Back.
- Early Direct Deposit by up to two days.
- Free Bill Pay and eStatements.
- Free ATMs Worldwide – Get unlimited ATM fee rebates.