Besides being home to the sunniest days in the U.S., Florida is home to many financial institutions proactive in assisting customers with growing wealth.
The best banks in Florida offer free checking along with full-service banking products. Online banking is all the rage but there remains value in banking at traditional banks with branch locations. Local banks can provide instant cash deposits, cashier’s checks, notary services, same-day wire transfers, in-person financial advice and more.
Sometimes the best banks are the smaller banks in Florida that offer free checking. With the many banks in Florida, it can be difficult to choose the best option. That's why we've pinpointed the top banks in Florida and picked out options that benefit customers.
Free checking is the top benefit that can save bank customers up to $144 per year. Another benefit is cash-back rewards where money in deposited directly into customer accounts for using their debit cards.
5 Best Banks in Florida That Offer Free Checking
1. GTE Financial Credit Union – 50 Welcome Bonus
Go Further Checking is designed to offer a hassle-free checking account with easy access to your money! Waive the $4.95 monthly fee by enrolling in eStatements AND making $500 in aggregate deposits per month OR making a combination of 15 monthly debit and/or credit card transactions.*
Full Access Checking Account Features
- Access to 30,000 free ATMs.
- 24/7 Virtual Banking (Online, Mobile or Telephone).
- Get paid up to 2 days early with early direct deposit for a $3 fee.
- Bill Pay, Zelle®, and Friends & Family Transfers.
- Unlimited check writing.
- Account Balance Alerts.
- Free Bill Pay
- Remote Deposit – with the GTE Mobile App and Deposit2Go.
- Note: To get the $50 Bonus you must use referral code E599076ICB during the application process. You'll get an opportunity to insert the referral code during the application process once you get to “Lastly, here's an awesome member benefit.”
2. Bank OZK
Bank OZK was named “Best Bank in the South” by MONEY®. The bank was graded on competitive checking and savings account options and ATM fees, and above-average customer service according to a J.D. Power’s 2019 Customer Satisfaction study.
Bank OZK Free Checking Features
- Opening deposit – $100 opening deposit.
- Monthly fees – No Monthly Service Fee.
- Free online banking – Online banking, online bill pay and mobile banking.
- Custom debit card – Design your custom debit card.
- Customer service – Toll-free Telephone banking.
- Mobile wallets – Pay with your Bank OZK Visa debit card at participating merchants in-store and in-app directly from your smartphone.
- Branches – 43 branches in Florida.
3. Fifth Third Bank
Fifth Third Bank offers a free checking account called the Fifth Third Free Checking plus Extra Time®. Customers get all the benefits of a checking account with no monthly service charge. Plus, get additional time to make a deposit and avoid overdraft fees.
Fifth Third Free Checking Features
- Minimum balance – No minimum balance required.
- Opening deposit – No minimum deposit to open your account.
- Overdraft protection – Fifth Third Extra Time® gives you more time to make a deposit and avoid overdraft fees (anytime before midnight ET the next business day).
- Check writing – Unlimited check writing.
- Savings rate – Relationship Interest Rate on Relationship Savings.
- Fees – No Overdraft Protection Transfer Fee.
- Branches – 166 branches in Florida.
4. Keys Federal Credit Union
Keys Federal Credit Union offers the Keys Totally Free Cash Back Checking Account. Start earning cash-back rewards immediately when you take your Keys Debit MasterCard home from account opening. Keys Federal Credit Union is headquartered in Key West and is the 52nd largest credit union in Florida.
Keys Totally Free Cash Back Checking Features
- Zero balances – No minimum balance requirements.
- Fees – No monthly maintenance fees.
- Rewards – Cash back Rewards and FREE Nationwide ATMs (see table below).
- Free ATMs – Unlimited, surcharge free access at all Keys FCU ATMs and more than 1,000 Presto! ATMs at all Publix Super Markets.
- No cut-off time – Real-time transactions (no 2 p.m. cut-off).
- Branches – 4 branches in Florida.
5. First Horizon Bank
First Horizon Bank offers the FirstView Checking Account with no monthly service charge. Free digital and mobile banking keep you connected to your account at all times. Start saving with a Traditional Savings account at no extra cost.
Firstview Checking Features
- Fees – There’s no monthly service.
- Free ATMs – Get your cash for free at more than 43,000 ATMs in the Allpoint Network.
- Opening deposit – Minimum deposit needed to open account $50.
- Savings account – FirstView Checking comes with an optional, no-service charge traditional savings account for primary and joint account holders.
- Branches – 22 branches in Florida.
Final thoughts on banks in Florida
There are many banks in Florida offering free checking but, many have conditions like a direct deposit or a minimum balance rquirement. We looked for banks that offered totally free checking and narrowed it down to these five banks in Florida.